Dr. Jaime Galvez Tan, former DOH Secretary, and foremost expert on integrative medicine offers this Advisory on How to Prevent Getting COVID-19
1. Frequent hand washing with bubbling soap and water for a minimum of 20 seconds per wash. Frequent means at least 10 to 15 hand washings a day.
2. Alcohol-based gel formulations (Alcogels) are better than plain liquid alcohol 70% ethyl alcohol preparations. Alcogels stay longer in the hands to kill viruses while liquid alcohol evaporates immediately lessening its potential to kill viruses. Should you use liquid alcohols and spray hand sanitizers, allow hand surface rubbing also for 20 seconds.
3. On the use of a face mask. If encountering crowds or attending meetings and assemblies of people, going to church or worship services – wear a mask. If you have a cough, fever and colds, self-quarantine yourself until you get really well. Always wear a mask if and when you need to go out of your house. Change mask daily.
4. Sleep for 7 to 8 hours in total darkness. Melatonin is produced only in total darkness. Melatonin increases our immunity.
5. Drink at least 12 to 15 glasses of water/liquids per day – ideally, one glass every hour from 6 am to 6 pm. For senior citizens, after 6 pm just take sips of water or gargle to quench your thirst to avoid frequent urination while sleep. At night, good sleep is a priority over being hydrated. Ginger tea is good protection for our lungs n respiratory system.
6. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables and spices daily preferably every meal. Eating vegetables raw and whole is better since they contain anti-oxidants and pre-biotics. The more colorful the fruits and the vegetables the more antioxidants are present.
Suggested raw vegetables: singkamas (turnips), tomatoes, carrots, cucumbers, celery, talbos ng kamote (Camote tips), kolitis (amaranth), malunggay (moringa), dahon ng sili (capsicum leaves ) saluyot (corchorus leaves).
7. Take at least 500 mg of Vitamin C 3x a day or at best One gram (1,000 mg) of Vitamin C 3x a day. Vitamin C is one of the best antioxidants and immune boosters.
8. Eat any products with coconut content – buko juice (coconut water) buko flesh, coconut milk (gata ng niyog), shredded coconut (kinudkud na niyog). One tablespoon of VCO at least once a day and at best 3x a day. Coconuts contain Lauric acid or Laurine which has been scientifically proven to have anti-viral properties.
Do Virgin coconut oil pulling (VCO babad) – place one tablespoon of VCO in your mouth and keep it there for 15 minutes, then spit it out in tissue or in the toilet bowl. No need to wash your mouth after. VCO protects you from viruses and other microbes and removes contaminants in the mouth and nasopharynx.
Apply VCO as a liniment. Our skin is our first defense against the virus. Apply lightly VCO liniment from head to toe at least once a day in the morning, at best also in the evening.
9. Have a flu vaccine especially for senior citizens. The flu vaccine is given once a year. Influenza or flu is another form of virus different from COVID 19. Yet, it helps in producing antibodies against viruses. If you are a senior citizen, have a Pneumonia vaccine, given only once every 5 years. Again, this is a lung-protective action.
10. Stop smoking and avoid people who are smoking (second-hand smoke ). Avoid drinking alcoholic beverages since this will also lower immunity.
11. Move and walk at least 30 minutes a day. Exercise increases immunity by producing the hormone endorphin, a happy hormone. Exercise improves our normal breathing functions.
12. Be at peace with yourself. Stay calm. Do not panic. Listen only to expert advice on the COVID-19. Be kind to other people especially the underprivileged. Be Happy. Be Healthy. Trust in the Lord God always.