The Makati Medical Center (MMC) on Wednesday denounced Senator Aquilino “Koko” Pimentel III’s breach of the infection and containment protocols of the hospital against the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
In a statement posted on social media, MMC Medical Director Dr. Saturnino Javier confirmed reports that Pimentel, whose result for COVID-19 testing turned out to be positive, brought his pregnant wife Kathryna to the hospital on Tuesday evening for delivery via caesarean section.
“We denounce the irresponsible and reckless action of the senator. He added to the burden of a hospital trying to respond in its most competent and aggressive manner to cope with the daunting challenges of this COVID-19 outbreak,” MMC medical director Dr. Saturnino Javier said.
He said that by being in MMC and entering the delivery room, Pimentel violated his Home Quarantine Protocol and unduly exposed the staff at the hospital to possible infection.
“We denounce the irresponsible and reckless action of the senator. He added to the burden of a hospital trying to respond in its most competent and aggressive manner to cope with the daunting challenges of this COVID-19 outbreak,” Javier said.
As a result, a number of our nurses and doctors will be quarantine which will further deplete the dwindling workforce of the hospital,” he added.
Javier said that because of his actions, Pimentel contributed no solution and instead created another problem for the MMC.
“More than anything else, Mr. Pimentel, should have realized the ardent desire of every well-meaning Filipino and every dedicated healthcare institution to contain the spread of the infection,” Pimentel said.
“His admonition for everyone to observe social distancing, enhanced community quarantine measures, washing of hands and personal hygiene are nothing but empty rhetoric because he himself violated all those,” he added.
Javier said the MMC Delivery Room had already been decontaminated and disinfected, and could now be used.
The healthcare workers involved have also been notified of what happened, evaluated and may be quarantined if needed, he added.
“We fervently pray that none of our healthcare staff will acquire the COVID-19 infection. As we make this wish, we plead and urge everyone to do his share in quelling the spread of this infection – especially our nation’s duly elected leaders,” Javier said.
It was only on Wednesday that Pimentel announced that he tested positive for COVID-19, saying he was only informed about it late Tuesday evening.
He said he accompanied his wife to the hospital on Tuesday but immediately left after learning of the COVID-19 test result.
He lamented that he could not be with his wife Kath who is expected to give birth to their first child.
Pimental also denied claims that he toured MMC despite having known that he tested positive for COVID-19. -NB, GMA News
Published March 25, 2020 6:08pm
By ERWIN COLCOL, GMA News